After two 8 hour drives into the early morning hours I made an executive decision. We packed up the Suite Pea and moved to a halfway point between my father’s northern Michigan home, and our youngest daughter’s southern Indiana one. This way if I’m needed at either location, I can make the drive in a relatively short period of time. Even though it’s nice to be needed, I’m truly hoping that won’t be the case. As it is, we had intended to land here at the end of August anyhow, it being the RV Capitol of the USA and us being in need of repairs. As an added bonus, it’s one of our favorite destinations to visit (& to eat).
As some of our blog followers are aware of, our water pump malfunctioned while we were in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula last month. Don scheduled an appointment to have it repaired along with our water cabinet seals getting replaced. (They’re becoming harder and harder to open and close). Then, while I was in Indiana last week our entry steps broke. That’s three things, right? And the saying is, these things come in threes, so I thought, okay, we can deal with that. WRONG! Today, a 90 degree day with more to follow, our AC quit.
LATER IN THE DAY
I asked in the park office if they could recommend an RV tech in the area. They did indeed, in fact they highly recommended we talk to Al of Tri-Star Mobile RV Service and gave me one of his cards. Don called immediately and left a message with his office. Al was out on another job at the time but did give us a call back to say he would come by when he was finished. From Don’s description of what happened with our AC, Al said it sounded like the cable was bad. True to his word, he arrived later in the afternoon and had us up and running again within 15 minutes. I must mention that unlike technicians we’ve used in the past, Al only charged us for the 15 minutes he worked and not for a full hour. Can’t beat that kind of service and yes, it was the cable.
Now I’m going to back track a little. When our water pump went out in July, Don contacted Interstate to get us an appointment after which I called Grandview Bend Campground in Howe to make a reservation. We have stayed there many times in the past. I requested site #1 and was told it was available during our time frame. My reason for requesting this specific site was because it is an end site and therefore no one would be on our door side giving Beau an open area to run and train, it also has one of the few 50 amp hookups. (Grandview Bend consist mainly of seasonal sites with only one row for short term campers, most of which are 30 amp sites. Sites are tight with little more than the width of a picnic table between them). Not exactly our cup of tea but the location and price is right.
I called again 5 days before our intended arrival and was once more assured that we would be on our requested site. Satisfied, Monday we pulled out of Kalkaska and made the trip south to Howe, Indiana. Imagine our surprise upon our arrival at Grandview Bend to find another RV in our reserved site! I immediately contacted the manager to find out what was up. She informed me that she took the liberty of moving us to another site because the motorhome that was parked on it wanted more room for his tow vehicle. Now had we planned on staying for only a few days to a week, it would have been fine for us BUT NOT for a whole month and a half in a cramped campsite!
I reminded the manager of our prior two conversations, that we were returning guests, and at the very least she should have called me first since she had our number. At which point her husband jumped in and let us know in no uncertain terms that we were just plain lucky to even have a campsite. What!!! Do reservations not mean anything??? Did I mention this park is under new management? Well it is and unfortunately their management skills are not as courteous as those of the previous manager’s. After some discussion with Don we decided to pay for one night so we could unhook then take off in the truck on a scouting trip for another campground in the area.
We were in luck. We scored the last site available at Shipshewana RV Park South, and another stroke of luck, it was open for the entire time of our stay. I checked us in then we returned to Grandview to get Suite Pea and bring her to South. At check-in we learned that we were the fourth RV to leave Grandview Bend within the past couple of days on account of the treatment they’d received. It goes without saying, we will never return to Grandview Bend.
Thus begins our stay in Shipshewana. We’re looking forward to meet ups with old friends, making new ones, and having our repairs behind us.
Here’s lookin’ at you kid…….