We awoke this morning to a chill in the air, overcast skies & fog rolling in off the water. We decided to drive to Leelanau Peninsula anyway. After all, Leelanau is beautiful no matter what the weather. We’re so glad we did. As our day progressed the sun appeared, the fog rolled away & warmth spread through the pine scented air.
First stop was in Traverse City at Sleder’s Tavern for an early lunch of Moose Chips & Sleder Burgers. We love the atmosphere at Sleder’s & always make it a point to stop in whenever we are in the area.
Sleder’s Tavern in located in the old Slabtown section of TC. It is one of Michigan’s oldest, continuously operated taverns since 1882. Most of the original furnishings are still intact today; the hardwood floors, the ornate stamped tin ceiling, even the 21′ solid mahogany bar with the brass foot rail. Thank goodness the brass spittoons aren’t though. The tavern walls are adorned with numerous hunting trophies & in the back, over the rear entrance hangs a most impressive moose head named Randolph. Many Sleder patrons climb upon a step-ladder to “Kiss the moose for luck”. It’s a tradition!
After lunch we took a leisurely drive up the peninsula shoreline through Suttons Bay to Northport, the northernmost town on the peninsula. Once there we made our way to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse & strolled among the white cedars surrounding the light.
Next stop was another favorite haunt of ours, historic Fishtown. We love strolling alongside the wind battered shacks on the waterfront & the pier of the Leland Yacht Club that overlooks the jetty. We paid a visit to the ancient smokehouse & picked up some beef jerky & smoked fish to savor.
We also made stops at two of our favorite wineries in the area, Leelanau Wine Cellars & Good Harbor Vineyards. Don really likes the Merlot & Tall Ship Red at the Cellars & I splurged on strawberry & cherry wines.
As we headed back to the property, we made one more pit stop along the way to another favorite food joint; Don’s Drive-In. Don’s is a burger & malt dive that dates back to 1958. Situated on the main drag through town, it hasn’t changed much since the 50’s. The place is renowned for its shakes & malts. Made the old-fashioned way, the cherry ones , made with fresh fruit, requires powerful suction to get the chunks of cherry up the straw. We ordered two for the road.
Not only are we in God’s Country, we’ve found foodie nirvana as well.
Here’s lookin’ at you kid…………………..